Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Chequamegon Weekend Recap

Sarah, Melissa and I drove over to the Cave's house Thursday morning and headed up to Bayfield, Wi. We were staying at Sarah's fathers townhouse, very nice. We stopped in Hayward on the way up and met up with Hollywood at Rosies field. Scott and I unloaded our bikes and got geared up. The wives and kids continued on to Bayfield because Hollywood said he would drive us up after the ride. We prerode the first half of the race from Hayward to Double O. Hollywood drove us to Bayfield after the ride whinning the whole way. Friday Scott and I met Hollywood at Double O and prerode the second half of the race. It was a nice easy pace and they gave me some good advise since I have never done this race before. Climbing the fire tower hill my chain broke and of course none of us had a chain tool. As we were trying to fix it with a rock, Travis Brown and Dirk (Trek) rode up. We asked them for a chain tool and BSed with them. After the ride we hung out around the finish at Telemark resort and talked with some of the other racers who were preriding and then we left.

Saturday was the race. What a wild start, 2500 racers in a mass start down main street. A lady crashed in front of me turning on to 77 and I ran her over, she was OK. The race was an ass kicker! I fell once going around one of the many mud puddles but otherwise my race was uneventful. My goal was to finish under 4 hours. I finished in 1453 place with a time of 4 :33.

Sunday Scott and I took our families on a boat ride to Devils Island and toured the light house on the island. That was cool, took 1.5 hours to get to the island and we saw most of the Apostle islands on the way. Monday we took the minivan on the ferry out the Madeline Island and drove around and had lunch before heading home. We also took the kids fishing Monday morning.

It was my brother Mikes birthday Monday and Melissas birthday Tuesday so we had a nice party last night and we are going to Chuck E. Cheese on Saturday. Also have the MNSCS awards party Saturday night.

I will post some pictures soon...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home