Wednesday, February 23, 2005


24 hours in the Old Pueblo recap: As stated earlier we left wed. and stayed in Wichita, KS. the first night. I still felt sick on Thursday so we decided to stop in Oklahoma at a urgent care to see if I could get some medicine. We ended up stopping at a clinic in Ponca City, OK. I got some medicine and we were on our way. Our next stop was the Oklahoma City National Memorial - what a sight, so many lives lost! We continued on our way and stayed in Tucumcari, NM. that night. Friday we continued to Tucson and drove directly to the race site in the Sonoran desert near the biosphere 2. It started raining in New mexico and continued in Arizona. Friday night we checked in at the race and then checked in to our hotel. Saturday we woke up early, checked out of the hotel, picked up some groceries and headed to the race site. It was cold and raining the whole time. We set up our pit area and got ready for the noon start. I was still a little congested with a chest cold so the cold and wet wasnt helping matters. The le mans starts was wild as we had to run a 1/4 mile down a very narrow muddy road which was very slippery. I got on the bike mid pack and started my first lap. The laps start with a bunch of rolling hills which I learned were known as the "7 bitches". These were ecspecialy fun on a SS. I finished the first 16 mile lap in 1:45 and felt ok. I took a small break and took off on my other bike. The 2nd lap killed me! I felt like crap about half way through the lap. I finished the lap in about 2 1/4 hours. I deceided I needed to get out of my wet gear and put on some warm dry clothes. The nonstop rain really hurt my motivation. I took a lengthy break and headed out for my 3rd lap around 6pm with my light system on. Of course it poured most of the lap and I finished that lap in bout 2.5 hours. At this point I deceided I was gonna wait until the AM and maybe do 1 more lap so I didnt get a DNF. The constant rain and cold took its toll and we left the race site in the early AM. Alot of people left early as the conditions were tough. Sunday late AM was nice and sunny and the race ended with sun but we were already on our way back home. I learned alot during my first try at a 24 hour race. Sunday we stayed in Tombstone, AZ. and checked out all the wild wild west stuff. Monday we continued towards home and headed towards Roswell, NM. to check out the Aliens. On our way through New Mexico we got pulled over by the border patrol and they had a dog check our mini van and they asked us if we were all legal residents, after that we arrived in Roswell. It was 6pm and Presidents day so everything was closed when we got there, bummer! We ended Monday in Amarillo, TX. Tuesday we left Amarillo and drove straight through and I got home at 4am today. We had a great trip even though the race didnt go as planned!! Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Wow! Epic weather conditions AND a cold! I just went through that cold, stuffy head, and whatnot. Must have been really tough even to start. If ever you head out that way again, and your not in "vacation travel mode", you can really make some serious time by leaving I-35 @ Wichita. Take 54 all the way to I-10 @ El Paso, I-10 to Phoenix area. Or I -44 from Tucumcari to Tucson area. Either way,54 cuts off alot of time, and miles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home