Monday, June 13, 2005

Stump Farm 12 Hour Recap

Sarah, Melissa, Kraig and I headed towards Green Bay, WI. Around 8am on Friday. The weather was a slight concern but we were determined to race. We got to Green Bay about 6 hours later and dropped Sarah and Melissa off at the hotel. We stayed at the Candlewood Suites, its a separate division of Holiday Inn. A different concept for a hotel - it has a store in the hotel that runs on the honor system, everything is automated - the hotel has no staff except for 1 person in case of emergencies, the suites are huge and cheap, and several other unique features. Kraig and I then headed over to the reforestation camp where the race is held and did one lap on the single speeds before a huge storm blew in. The course is great on a single speed, no huge climbs! After the preride we all went out and got some groceries and cooked in the room the rest of the weekend. The race started at 8am. We pitted with Ray Coyle and his family. It was hot and humid! A lot of people were complaining about the heat. The course was 8 miles, almost double the length of the last couple races. My race went OK, my laps were around one hour and I was doing fine through 5 laps. My 6th lap was ugly and long. I took a break after that and ate and drank. I then headed out and did 2 more laps, during my 8th lap the tornado sirens went off and they called the race. I ended up with 8 laps (64 miles) and 3rd place in the SS class. Kraig took 2nd in the SS class - nice job! The Stump Farm race always has a good raffle (last year I won a Thompson certificate) and this year I won a case of banana GU packets.
On Sunday we checked out Lambeau Field and had lunch there. A cool facility - the Vikings need something like that. Then we headed over to the NEW Zoo which was next to the race site and checked out the zoo for a couple hour before driving home.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Jeff Kerkove said...

Tornadoes? Sweeeeeeeet!

Hey are yo uplanning on the 12 Hours of Thunder in SD? Me and my Dad are leaving next Thursday from I-O-WAY.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home