Sunday, August 08, 2004

12 hours @ Mt. Kato

Mike, Kraig and I woke up Saturday morning to rain, not good. We decided to get ready and leave for the race anyway since Mankato is only 45 minutes from my house. It continued to rain until about 7am so we set-up the EZup and got everything ready. The race was the 3rd of 3 races in the Triple Crank Classic race series put on by the BAM riders. They had 2 loops for the 12 hour race, each was 4.2 miles long. The "B" loop included the Luge, if your familiar with Mt. Kato. The first 3 laps were miserable, the course was very muddy, but as the day went on things improved and it was a great day. Because this race was part of a series, they had citizen,sport, and expert classes, although everyone rode together. All riders were solo competitors, no teams. I entered the citizen class because I am still new to the 12 hour races and decided to ride my Singlespeed. I completed 11 laps finishing 7th overall in the citizen class and 2nd in my age group. Kraig did 10 laps and finished 8th overall in the citizen class and 2nd in his age group (40-49). Mike only rode the first lap, the mud and the luge were enough for him, he pitted for us the rest of the day and finished in 25th place in the citizen class. The winning expert did 22 laps.


1 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Jeff Kerkove said...

"The Revenge" race looks damn cool! I have watched it on OLN and it gives me goose bumps. I would do it in a heartbeat, if the course was marked and the altitude was not as high. I did 24 Hours of Adrenaline in Winter Park last year, and I had a lap lead on the Solo field, what I came down with the symptoms of altitude sickness....which totally shut down my body. All this with only 9 hours left! ARGH! That has me second guessing every race above 8,000 feet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home