Sunday, August 28, 2005

24 Hours of Afton Recap

Sarah, Melissa, Kraigness and I met Scott out at Afton around noon on Friday to set up our pit area. It had rained all night and was still raining at noon when we met up. Bill and Susie were planning on arriving by 8pm. We set up the pit area and preped our bikes for the wet conditions. It stopped raining around 3:00 or so and was nice the rest of the weekend although it never fully dried up. The course was longer with more climbing this year. During registration Kraig and I were informed that they made a "error" on the registration form and there was not going to be a SS class. Instead they put us in the Vet class. Keep in mind we all had our single speed bikes and were at Afton. Also keep in mind I had emailed them earlier to confirm if the SS class was individual or team and they responded saying team! Bill, Susie and Elliot (Dirt Rag star), ended up arriving at 5:00pm in time to see me run. The le mans start was suppose to be a 50 yard run instead this year we had to run up the ski hill around a bush and back down then 50 yards to our bikes. We each did 5 laps except Bill did one extra night lap for 6. We had a great time with a bunch of great people and finished in 10th place in the Vet class with 21 laps in 23.5 hours. I would really like to enter a true 4 person SS team class with this group and see how we could do. Bill and Susie, what are you doing in Feburary??

I read about Jeff Kerkove's misfortune and am not sure what to say at this point. I think my actions regarding which races I enter will speak for me.

My next race will be the Sept. 17 WEMS race in Merrill, Wi. Its too bad I have to choose between The Chequamegon 40 and the WEMS race.

3 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Jeff Kerkove said...

Hey! Did you see there is a 6/12 hour event down by KC again on Sept. 24. There will be night riding.

www.heartlandrace.com

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger PaddyH said...

12hr race or Cheq...tough call
do the 40 at least once before your a cripple..its pretty funkin awsome

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the 12 hour races, but! The fourty is not something to miss! The racing on Sunday is fun too!

Bill Schneider

 

Post a Comment

<< Home